First Freight Train with Electric Traction completes Journey on the new Obulavaripalli – Venkatachalam Road
First Freight Train with Electric Traction completes Journey on the new Obulavaripalli – Venkatachalam Road Electrified Section.
A new dawn heralds in rail connectivity to Krishnapatnam Port
Obulavaripalli-Venkatachalam Road route sees movement of 1st freight train
The strategic Obulavaripalli-Venkatachalam Road Junction rail connectivity which met completion recently has been opened for freight train services. Connected to Krishnapatnam port, the first freight train completed its journey with
electric locomotion, on Tuesday.
The first goods train service which ran on Tuesday was bound to Jindal Steels, Toranagallu. The train took two hours and 17 minutes to cover a distance of 93km from Venkatachalam Road to Obulavaripalli — signifying the potential of the line to reduce
travel time by two to three hours. Earlier, the rail’s route used to be via Gudur, Renigunta and Koduru.
Benefits of Obulavaripalli – Venkatachalam electrified line
- Smooth transportation of coal, iron ore and other minerals & industrial goods to and from Krishnapatnam Port.
- Reduces distance by 72 kms for the trains coming from western direction which pass through Guntakal division to Krishnapatnam.
- Reduces traffic density in Obulavaripalle – Renigunta – Gudur section
- Eases congestion of both passenger carrying and freight carrying trains in Vijayawada – Gudur – Renigunta – Guntakal sections.
- The new line helps in the socio-economic growth of the region, bringing in hitherto unconnected areas on to the railway map.